SubNet Construction values your home as if it is our own. Hence, we would like to give you some tips in general home cleaning, upkeep, and maintenance.
Exterior and Interior Paint Tips
- For paint touch-ups, use a small brush and apply paint only to the damaged spot.
- In case of repainting a room, prepare the wall surfaces by cleaning with a mild soap and water mixture or a reliable cleaning product.
- Annually, check the painted and stained surfaces of your home’s exterior.
- Approximately every two or three years, plan on refinishing the exterior surface of your house.
Interior Wall Cleaning and Maintenance Tips
- Start cleaning walls by dusting them. Afterwards, clean the surface.
- For wallpapered walls, dab it with water to test first for colour fastness. If the spot turns dark or the colours run, use the cleaning method for non-washable wallpaper.
- For textured or non-washable wallpaper, vacuum them thoroughly by using a soft brush attachment to remove dirt.
- For brick walls, grab a good scrub brush to clean grout and particularly dirty areas.
Ceiling Cleaning and Maintenance Tips
- For flat ceilings, lightly spray the area with combined warm water, liquid dish detergent, and white vinegar. Then wipe it with a damp paint roller or microfiber mop. Cover the roller with a clean white cloth dipped in water and dab the area again to remove soapy residue.
- For textured ceilings, remove light dust with a dry paint roller brush. Heavier soil and cobwebs are best handled with a soft-bristled brush attachment and your vacuum cleaner.
Roof and Gutter Cleaning and Maintenance Tips
- Do not walk on your roof.
- Clean the gutter of accumulated debris periodically.
- Inspect and clean gutters and downspouts regularly or as deemed necessary.
Window Cleaning and Maintenance Tips
- Clean glass windows with a commercial glass cleaner or a cup of vinegar mixed with a gallon of warm water. Apply with a sponge or lint-free cloth, then dry and polish with paper towels.
- Clean aluminum window frames with a mild detergent solution.
- Wash and rinse window screens by using a mild household detergent.
Door Cleaning and Maintenance Tips
- Do not hang heavy items on door knobs or at the top of the door.
- Do not slam doors to prevent cracking in walls.
- Periodically clean the bottom of the door track, and check to ensure that drain holes are clear of obstructions.
- To keep the doors moving freely, apply a silicone spray to the tracks. Do not use oil.
- Clean door locks, door handles, hinges, and stoppers with a damp cloth and do not use abrasive cleanser or solvents. Do not use brass polish on lacquered brass parts or fixtures.
Cabinet and Shelf Cleaning and Maintenance Tips
- Clean wood cabinets with a light coat of wax or lemon oil. Apply once or twice a year.
- Clean laminate cabinets with soapy cloth or sponge, using a non-abrasive liquid household cleanser.
- Apply contact paper to shelves to protect against scratches and stains. Keep canned goods and all the heavier products on the bottom shelf of the base cabinets.
Floor, Tile, and Carpet Cleaning and Maintenance Tips
- Vacuum tiles regularly to remove gritty particles. Never use abrasive cleaners or harsh chemicals or solvents on ceramic tile.
- Vacuum carpets twice each week lightly and once a week thoroughly. Never apply detergents or stain remover directly.
Plumbing System Cleaning and Maintenance Tips
- Have a licensed plumbing contractor install all plumbing pipes and systems in your house.
- In case of an emergency or any major plumbing problem, turn off the main shut-off valve. It is important also that every member of the family knows where the shut-off valve is.
- Do a regular clean-up of all the plumbing fixtures in your house.
– For kitchen sinks, use a non-abrasive household cleanser with warm water and a sponge for routine cleaning.
– For bathroom sinks, prevent hair accumulation clogs. You may purchase a rubber hair collector to solve this issue.
Pest Control Tips
- Seal cracks and holes on the outside of the home including entry points for utilities and pipes.
- Keep basements, attics, and crawl spaces well ventilated and dry.
- Store garbage in sealed containers and dispose of it regularly.
- Call a qualified pest professional for additional advice and treatment if necessary.
Waste Management Tips
Put all your garbage properly inside the garbage bins.
- Seal all bottles, cans, and containers tightly in plastic bags.
- Rinse glass bottles and jars to remove residue before putting in the garbage cans.
- Drain and wrap in paper all wet garbage before placing in the garbage bins.
- Crush all loose papers into bundles prior to putting in the garbage bags.
- Store wet and dry garbage separately to properly manage waste disposal.
- Household hazardous waste such as aerosol cans, batteries, fluorescent lights bulbs and tubes, cooking/motor oil, cleaning supplies, bleach, paint, expired medications/vitamins, and propane/helium tanks and cylinders should be collected separately.
For more SubNet Construc-Tips, contact us for FREE Consultation!